We just (and by "just", I mean we got back on Monday. Time is going way too fast!!!) came back from our yearly camping trip with our friends, the Hasegawas! This year, our travels took us to Waterton. It was Cole's first trip there, as well as his first camping trip! What an adventure!
I was a bit nervous about going...Cole was having a TERRIBLE time with naps the week before we left. Appantly all he needed was a large dose of fresh air because naps went SO well. Nights were another story...he would go to bed so great but was up at least once a night. On Saturday night, we were up hourly. Oy. Not the "restful" camping trip of years gone by, not in a sleeping sense anyway.
We bought a MEC backpack to carry Cole in while we went hiking and he loved it (ignore his face in the photo, he really was enjoying himself)! I think he liked being up so high...he was on Jeff's back and could see over his shoulder. I figured it was only right that Jeff carry Cole since I carried him all last summer. ;)
We had two playpens along...one in the trailer for Cole to sleep in and another one outside for him to play in. The outside playpen was a lifesaver. We tried putting Cole on the ground a few times but EVERYTHING went in the mouth and he would get so upset when we tried to pry his little jaws open to remove whatever he deemed good enough to put in. So he got to play in the playpen instead. He liked to watch the ground squirrels that came into the campsite...they held his attention for as long as they stuck around.
Perhaps my most anticipated part of camping was the food, more specifically, the S'MORES! I found these delightfully huge marshmallows at Walmart and COULD NOT WAIT to try them out. These delectable white fluffys are about 3 times the size (and calories, but I figure those don't count on holidays) of a normal marshmallow and they get sooo big when they are roasted! Sooo yummy.
We had a wonderful weekend with some great friends. Can't wait to do it all again next year! I feel like it has taken me all week to recover from a few nights away. Perhaps I need a holiday to recover from holidays hm?
We are heading back to Waterton in a few weeks, this time only for one night and with most of Jeff's extended family. Should be fun!

Hey Chelsea! I enjoy reading your blog from time to time. Neat to see you went camping with John and Erin. Would've loved to join you if we lived in that area! We are planning a camping trip this summer as well, we've done 1 night, and it went pretty good. Yes- outdoor playpens can be a lifesaver!
ReplyDelete